Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pro-Choice but anti-abortion?

I took me a couple of days to decide if I would comment on the topic.  And until I saw an anti-abortion Facebook post come across my screen I was still undecided, but that gave me the last push I needed. 

Now, please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Roe v. Wade settle this years ago?  Has it been challenged and upheld countless times?  The Supreme Court of our land has determined that is the choice of the individual to decide.   Some say that life begins at conception and therefore they consider abortion murder and I respect their views, but respectfully disagree and again the Supreme Court agrees.  But that does not mean I am Pro-abortion. 

I view abortion as the last resort and not something that should be treated like birth control.  Way to often we see women getting multiple abortions and thinking nothing of it.  We live in an age of readily available contraceptive of all types and now even have the "morning after" pill that can protect against unwanted pregnancies well before an abortion is required to terminate the pregnancy. 

The most important protection we can give our children is education.  We need to talk to them about Abstinence and hope that is the course they take, but we also need to talk to them about ways to protect themselves from STDs and unwanted pregnancy if they choose to have premarital sex.  This is the only rational thing we can do as parents because the alternative will be babies having babies and an increase in STDs.  I know that some will say it is against their faith or religion to use contraceptive, but to me this seems to be an antiquated approach to deal with the world today and I am not saying you should do anything but teach Abstinence but you should also give you children knowledge. 

In my case, I am pro-choice and want to eliminate to need for abortions in the world through education, but for me to impose my views and beliefs on others is against everything our nation and founding fathers fought for. 

Just imagine if the resources spent on making those hideous diagrams and posters was used to educate our children in the importance of abstinence but prepare them if they choose differently.

Before I go I want to leave you with a thought, if we outlaw abortion I see two things happening right away and tell me if I am wrong:

  1. Abortions will re-enter the shadows it called home before Roe v Wade and women will die because of it.
  2. The number of unwanted pregnancies will turn into unwanted children who will flood the orphanages or wind up on Social Services or dead in a dumpster or cardboard box.  THIS IS REALITY and unless those who want to infringe on a persons right to choose want to support these children they should not be so quick to judge.
And please remember that if you want the freedom to your religion that means we have the right to be non-religion.

Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment